Tropical Storm Imelda

Updated: 11/7/2019 9:45 AM


Imelda Assistance Fund

Harris County Judge Lina Hidalgo and Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner have established the Imelda Assistance Fund to meet the needs of those who have suffered damage during Tropical Storm Imelda and the flooding that followed. To learn more and to donate to the Imelda Assistance Fund, please go to



Federal Resources

SBA Center

Representatives from the Small Business Administration (SBA) will be available at the Disaster Loan Outreach Center located at Harris County Social Services.

SBA customer service representatives will be available to answer questions, explain the application process, help small businesses apply for a low-interest economic injury disaster loan and close their approved disaster loans. No appointment is necessary.

Beginning Wednesday 12/11/19

  • Harris County Social Services, Room 136, 9418 Jensen Drive, Houston TX 77093
  • HOURS: 8am-5pm, Monday-Friday

Applicants may apply for assistance or request more information on SBA disaster assistance:

The application deadline for FEMA Individual Assistance has passed. Applicants can check the status of their application: 

What to Expect During a FEMA Housing Inspection

After applying for federal disaster assistance for damages incurred during Tropical Storm Imelda, qualified residents in Chambers, Harris, Jefferson, Liberty, Montgomery and Orange counties will receive a call from a Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) housing inspector as the next step in the recovery process.

The inspector will schedule an appointment seven to 10 days after registration. Once confirmed, they will verify information on the application, such as the survivor’s registration number, and then follow up to assess the property and damages listed on the application. The inspection generally takes 30-40 minutes and consists of a general examination of the home. There is no fee for the service.

The inspector is required to review and document both structural and personal property damage to file a report, but they do not determine eligibility or the value of damage or losses. FEMA officials will review the inspection report and issue an eligibility determination letter within a week of the inspection. If the application is approved, the letter will provide specific information on how the funds can be used.

For scheduled appointments, there must be someone 18 years of age or older who lived in the household prior to the disaster present. The inspector will verify by requesting:

  • photo identification, such as a driver’s license or passport,
  • proof of occupancy, such as a lease, rent payment receipt or utility bill, or
  • proof of ownership, such as a deed, title, mortgage payment book, property insurance policy or tax receipts.

An authorized inspector will wear an official FEMA ID badge. Survivors are encouraged to verify credentials prior to providing any information. If the inspector is not an official FEMA representative, and requests any personal or financial information, end the meeting immediately and notify local law enforcement. Survivors may also call the toll-free FEMA Disaster Hotline at 866-720-5721.

In addition to FEMA housing inspectors, representatives from the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) and insurance company inspectors may visit neighborhoods in affected areas.

SBA may send a packet and application for a low-interest disaster loan. While the application must be completed and returned to that agency in order to remain eligible for other types of federal assistance, such as grants, the applicant does not have to accept the loan.

Disaster Recovery Centers

At the DRCs, residents will be able to apply in person for individual assistance through FEMA’s Individuals and Households Program (IHP), which provides financial help and/or direct services to survivors, including assistance with housing and other disaster-related needs. At the DRCs, survivors can also inquire about additional non-Federal services that may be available there as well.

The DRC located at Harris County Social Services will close on December 10th.

For Recovery Resources call 211

211 Texas/United Way Helpline, operated by United Way of Greater Houston, is committed to helping people connect with the services they need. Whether by phone or internet, our goal is to present accurate, well-organized and easy-to-find information from state and local health and human services programs. 211 Texas is a free, anonymous social service hotline available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Help can be provided in 150 different languages. You can dial 211 or 877 541-7905 or search the database at


Clean Up

Muck and Gut Resources

Mold Remediation


Getting Back on Your Feet

Food Pantry Finder

Click Here to find a local food pantry from the Houston Food Bank.

Disaster Recovery How to Replace Important Documents

Disaster Recovery Renter's Rights

Immigrant Survivors

Immigrant survivors can visit this link for information on immigrant eligibility for disaster relief programs, list of non-English/culturally-specific media, common legal needs after a disaster, and more.


Reports and Claims

Insurance Information 

Here are some things to keep in mind if you need to file an insurance claim:

  • Report your claim immediately
  • Take pictures or video of all damages
  • Save all your receipts
  • If you have flooding, disconnect electronics and electrical appliances and move them to a dry place, and move any damaged household items to a dry place
  • If you evacuate, call your agent and provide a number where you can be reached
  • Don’t start a car that’s flooded since hidden water could further damage your vehicle and cause other risks
  • Dry out your car and other water-damaged items to prevent mold
  • If your car was towed due to flooding you can search for it on

Claim Numbers


American Sign Language (ASL)

Recovery Information