At approximately 11:00am this morning an explosion occurred at the KMCO Plant in Crosby. According to the Harris County Fire Marshal’s Office (HCFMO) a Shelter in Place has been issued for a one-mile radius of the KMCO Plant in Crosby. The Shelter In Place will remain in effect until public health and safety can be assured.
If you are in the shelter in place area:
o stay indoors,
o close windows and doors, and
o turn off A/C systems.
The following school districts currently have a shelter in place:
• Crosby ISD
• Channelview ISD
• KIPP Northeast (including: Legacy, Voyager and Polaris)
Precinct 2 has closed Crosby-area parks/facilities:
• Crosby Park
• Crosby Sports Complex
• Crosby Community Center (evacuated)
The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) and Harris County Pollution Control are onsite monitoring air quality. According to the EPA there are currently no detections that require action.
What you need to do:
• Know how to shelter in place: stay indoors, close windows/doors, and turn off A/C systems. This effects all family members and pets.
o Additional Shelter In Place Information: https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/evacuation/shelterinplace.html
• Listen to local officials for updates on the situation and for any actions you may need to take.
• Monitor local weather forecasts: National Weather Service
Where you can learn more: