Drive Safe in Winter Weather
What is the danger?
According to the National Weather Service, the southeast Texas region is under a Winter Weather Advisory until 9:00am today. Isolated areas of 1 to 2 inches of snow accumulations are possible on grass and vehicles. Low temperatures this morning are resulting in slick/icy conditions on roads, bridges and overpasses. Use caution when driving. Check Houston TranStar for latest road conditions.
Temperatures are expected to reach the mid-40s today. Snow accumulations will melt, potentially creating slick roads.
What you need to do
Snow and sleet fell throughout the region overnight, creating the potential for slick roadways. Follow these tips for safe driving:
- Clear your car: wipe off any snow/ice from your windows and mirrors before you start driving.
- Check wipers: ensure windshield wipers are in good working condition before heading out on the road.
- Lights on: when conditions are wet or dark, be sure to use headlights.
- Slow down: rain, sleet and snow can limit your visibility. Slowing down provides extra time to adjust to changing conditions. Use caution on bridges and overpasses.
- More space: give yourself extra stopping distance. Wet and Icy conditions means it takes longer for vehicles to come to a complete stop.
- Stay informed: listen to local media for latest weather updates. Check the status of roads before heading out.
Where you can learn more